Spring 2021 – REGISTRATION CLOSED
Saturdays 11:00-12:15pm ET, 8-week session Feb 6 – Mar 27
This class is now closed. If you have interest in jazz guitar, consider the Youth Workshops, which is small ensembles of all instruments including guitar.
This 8-week online workshop led by instructor Troy Conn is perfect for students with experience on guitar who want to learn the fundamentals of jazz. Some of this class topics will include: Chord extensions and alterations, II – V – I’s in major and minor keys, how to learn jazz standards, scales, modes, arpeggios, single note soloing, chord melody and history and listening.
Pre-requisites for this workshop:
- Students 13-17 years old
- At least 2 years of experience playing guitar
- Students are not expected to have prior experience with jazz. A basic understanding of chords, preferably bar chords and seventh chords, would be beneficial.
- Guitar (electric or acoustic) in working condition
- Access to reliable wireless internet or ethernet connection
- Reliable device for a webinar on Zoom.us; this could be a webcam, laptop with webcam, smartphone with camera, iPad, Tablet, etc
- Backing tracks with the iRealPro app or Jamey Abersold Vol. 54 Maiden Voyage. (this might change)
- A working email address. Students will be emailed PDF’s of the examples covered in the course.
- Pencil and paper (for notes); you can also use your device.
Troy Conn started playing guitar at age thirteen. Soon after, he was playing shows before he could even drive himself to them. At UNC Charlotte, Troy studied classical guitar and, after graduating, was invited to study at Berklee Guitar Sessions under a full scholarship. Versatile in jazz, classical, and rock, Troy has performed across the country and overseas. He is a native to Charlotte, NC, where he regularly plays with his own bands, artists on tour, the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra, and more. Troy has been teaching and mentoring younger musicians for many years, including JazzArts Youth Ensembles. His latest CD, “Old and New,” was released in Spring 2018.
Registration & Tuition
Registration is open now through January 22. Space is limited. No auditions required.
$250 for the full session (includes $15 non-refundable registration fee)
Financial Aid is available for up to 90% off the tuition. Click here for Financial Aid Application. Please call 704-334-3900 to register if you are applying for financial aid, as you will not be able to complete registration online.
Payment options are available. Please call our office at 704-334-3900 if you need to inquire, as you will not be able to complete registration online.
Payment and Refund Policy
Tuition is due at the time of registration. Full payment may be made by credit/debit card, check or money order. A full refund will be granted up to one week before the first program day – minus a $15.00 registration fee.
JazzArts Spring Online Workshops: Information Session
Sunday Jan 24 1;30PM via Zoom.
Interested but want to know more? This is your opportunity to meet some of the instructors, share your specific interests, learn how the class will handle the virtual setting, discuss expectations, and get any other questions answered. Register on Zoom here.
Special Thanks to our program sponsors
Arts and Science Council, North Carolina Arts Council, Charlotte Woman’s Club, Akers Foundation